Monday, August 23, 2010

Jenna runs the marathon - AGAIN!

Photobucket

Yes you read that correctly, I will be running the NYC Marathon again this year and training is in full effect! I am so excited to have the opportunity to run such this amazing race again. Many people have told me I am nuts and they cannot believe I want to do it again! After the grueling training + injuries I endured last year I was not so sure if I WOULD ever run another marathon. There were days when I came home in tears and told Matt I wasn't sure if I could do it. And then there was the stress fracture in my foot that set me back in the last month, but I didn't let that stop me! I was determined to run the race and finish with my goal time of 4 hours 30 minutes and that I did!

As soon as I took my first few steps on that Verrazano Bridge, I knew in my heart that I had to run this marathon again! It was such an amazing experience and I get all teary eyed just thinking about it. For starters I ran for a charity in honor of my grandmother who I lost to liver cancer. The charity I ran for, Fred's Team, raises money for Sloan Kettering in NYC where my grandmother was treated. Since I raised over $5,000 (I raised $7,800 to be exact) - I was awarded a two night stay in at a hotel in Times Square during marathon weekend - score! The night before the marathon, Matt and I decided to do some touristy things like visit FAO Swartz and the L-O-V-E sign and then we got burgers and fries (my favorite pre-race meal) at the Burger Joint in Le Parker Meridien. We then met up with a friend who lives near Columbus Circle and watched the some fireworks from her apartment building!

Marathon morning came fast but don't worry I was well rested. When running a marathon you should get a good night sleep 2-3 days in advance and I definitely followed these orders. That morning I took my nervous and jittery self down to the hotel lobby too meet up with Tina and Lori for our Fred's Team breakfast. While eating, we were approached by a cancer survivor turned volunteer who thanked us for running and raising money - tear, the waterworks started early. We then boarded our buses and were off to Staten Island at the wee hour of 5:30am! We also met up with Liz, who I know from Hoboken - I had forgotten she was a charity runner and so glad I bumped into her! Ok so once in Staten Island it was a waiting game - I won't bore you with all the details of sitting on soggy grounds. Instead let's get on to the race recap!

I started in the 2nd wave, which was around 10:00am and was put on the lower level of the Verazzano. Some people complained about this but I actually really liked it! There was lots of room on the lower level of the bridge and were still able to sneak a few peaks of the Statue of Liberty! Lori, Liz and I were all in the same wave and I am SO lucky I had them by my side for 26.2 miles! Once we hit Brooklyn, the cheering and amazing crowd support started. I could not believe the number of people out in the street cheering all the runners on. There were people handing out water and bananas, there were bands, people singing karaoke, church choirs, oh and I will never forget the group of people that were doing the YMCA on the steps of their building - so fun! I wore my name on my shirt and ran near the sides because I needed/wanted people to cheer for me! Go Jenna! Yeah Jenna! Go Jenna, Lori & Liz! It was so cool to hear this and have total strangers smiling and throwing their arms in the air when we ran by.

The first 13 miles were a breeze, we were running fast but new we'd eventually slow down. I could not wait to see my family on 1st Avenue but still had to conquer Queens. I actually had a surprise in Long Island CIty - my friend Elise and her husband stopped there to cheer me on - so AMAZING! I found out ahead of time because she texted me to to look out for her. (Yes I had my phone with my and was sending out pre-typed texts with my locations and times.) Anyway I bumrushed Elise with the biggest hug ever and then was on my way. Queens was a bit quieter than Brooklyn and the 59th Street bridge was so incredibly hard. I kept on pushing through because I knew 1st Avenue was right around the corner and I could hear the yelling and cheering from a 1/2 mile away!

I'd have to say I flew down 1st Avenue and saw all my friends which made me SO happy. My biggest cheering squad was around 90th Street (mile 18 or 19) where I had 11 people waiting for me! I ran over to hug and kiss Matt and waved to the rest of my family and friends. (I tried to hug everyone but there just wasn't enough time - I didn't want to lose my friends I was running with!) I cannot tell you though how much it meant to have all of them there. It helped me to push through those hard miles and gave me something to look forward to! Everyone said it was such a cool experience to watch the race and one of my friends even cried after I ran by!

Ok ok I am rambling here…let's move on….I headed into the Bronx and mile 19-22 got pretty hard. At one point I felt nauseas but Lori said "hang in there, you'll be fine!" I also knew I would be seeing my family and friends again at Central Park East and that I'd I also be seeing my girls from the Hoboken Elysianette's Running Society at mile 23! Ahh more happy faces and waving to everyone. Now at this point I only had a few more miles to go and I kept on trucking. I turned on my ipod in the Bronx and had it full blast through the last few miles. I actually finished the race to Metallica's Enter Sandman which will forever hold a special spot in my heart! I had my goal in mind for my 4:30 marathon and really wanted my name in the paper the next day (haha) so I really tried to pick up the pace! I ended up losing my friend Liz at the end and I almost lost Lori too because she took off really fast but she did wait for me at the finish line. I saw her as soon as I was done and we flew into eachother's arms where we cried hysterically and hyperventilated at the same time. We were so tired but also on SUCH a high. It felt so amazing to finish 26.2 miles and do it all in the 5 boroughs of NYC with fans cheering the entire time. I couldn't have asked for a better marathon and cannot wait to do it all again!

Later the night I met up with my friends and family again for a post-race dinner at Tony DiNapoli's - yum! It was so good to see everyone and to thank them for supporting me and cheering me on! The NYC marathon definitely ranks as one of the coolest things I have ever done in my life. I cannot describe the feeling that came over me that day but I know I want to feel it again! This year I got in through the lottery and am really looking forward to running it again. I am not so excited about the training but am grateful that I have many running buddies to train with this year!

Here are some photos from my marathon weekend…enjoy!

Pre-race festivities

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pre-race fireworks in Central Park

Photobucket

Photobucket

Fred's Team group photo in Times Square at 5:30am

Photobucket

Lori, Liz and I in Brooklyn

Photobucket

Photobucket

The awesome signs my friends made me (which totally helped me to spot them)

Photobucket

Me going crazy when I spotted my running friends at mile 23

Photobucket

Photobucket
Me back at the hotel, wearing my medal proudly!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Celebrating with my friends and family

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here are a few cool shots my friend took of the professional runners!

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment