Monday, July 12, 2010

Manhattanhenge 2010

Ladies and gentlemen…I present you with Manhattanhenge! This cool phenomenon only happens twice a year and I finally got to experience it! For those of you who don't know what it is…Manhattanhenge occurs when the sun sets in perfect alignment with Manhattan's east/west grid streets and like I said it only happens TWICE! I believe there are a few other days where you may be able to see partial sunset but I wanted the full thing so my friend and I ventured out yesterday to set up shop on the 42nd street overpass by 1st Avenue near Tudor City. Apparently it can be seen anywhere north of 14th street but I liked the idea of being high up on the overpass when it happened and I also happen to LOVE the Chrysler building so I was thrilled to get that in the shot too!

Ok so as many of you know, I am obsessed with sunsets and this has been high on my list of things to do since I moved back to the NY area. Manhattanhenge happens once in May and once in July and it is tricky to catch because I always seem to be on vacation when this mystical occurrence takes place! (In May it usually happens around Memorial Day weekend and I am usually on the beach and not anywhere near the city.)

I did try to witness it once back in 2007 but it was cloudy that day and there was nothing to see! I actually got nervous that we may miss it this year too as it was raining earlier in the evening and there were some clouds, however we lucked out and it was quite spectacular to see! I went with my dear friend and photographer, Natasha Montero, and we fought the crowd to get a prime spot on the bridge. A few people got nasty up there, not with us, but it's a shame that some photographers can be so rude!

Ok so without any further adoo…Manhanttanhenge….July 11, 2007:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

I love the lens flare in this one…

Photobucket

The End

Photobucket

Natasha and I (me rocking the straight hair for a change!)

Photobucket

All the crazies on the bridge who must have gotten there 1-2 hours beforehand

Photobucket

Everyone trying to get "the shot"

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know which you love the best!

1 comment:

  1. I cant believe you already have this up! You are so fast!! The pics look awesome, those wedges were def worth the pain cause you had height!! All my pics have heads in them cause im so short! ;-) Love em!!

    ReplyDelete