Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Philadelphia!

I ventured off to Philly a few weekends ago to visit with some college friends and to run in my 4th Half Marathon! I am actually upset with myself for not getting down to Philly more often - it is only 2 hours from my house and such a beautiful city!

We all met up Saturday and toured around a bit. I have seen most of the sights but everything is so close so we decided to do it all again. My good friend Laura is a History teacher and I am always thankful to have her along on trips like this! She is able to fill me on what happened: who, what, where, why, when and how! I was terrible in history and my memory doesn’t work so well so she reminds me on all that took place in this historic city. She was literally squealing with delight over the places like Independence Hall and the National Constitution Center! She has been inside a bunch of times and said we should go in - I wish we said yes but instead we opted to grab some drinks. Maybe next time little Laura :)

After some drinks we went back to the hotel and cleaned up a bit for dinner. We headed back into Old City and ate at a cute little restaurant/lounge called Gigi. It was restaurant week but we decided to opt out of the 5 course prix-fixed menu because none of us could eat that much. There were no burgers on the menu (I love a burger and fries before a long run) but since I am a red meat lover I opted for a rib-eye instead! After dinner we wandered into a 20-somethings college bar (way too young for us) and later ended up at this gorgeous restaurant/bar. I wish I could remember the name! None of my friends remember the name either; I just scoured the Internet and cannot find it! Anyway, the decor was beautiful, very metropolitan. I didn’t stay long as I had a 6m wake up call but it was so fun to hang with all my bffs!

The next morning, Jackie (Laura's cousin) and I got up and headed out to do the Philadelphia Distance Run - 13.1 miles. What a gorgeous course, it started off with 3 miles in the city and then headed out along the Schuylkill River. The weather was fabulous and the course was flat, this is my kind of race! There were more spectators that I had imagined which is always good too! This was a Rock N Roll race and there were about 12-13 bands which was a nice feature but I decided to keep my ipod on most of the time. I promised myself I would not "race" this, I would take my time and just finish but halfway through I realized I was doing great and stepped it up a notch. I did not make my best time but I still did pretty good - finished in 2:02 a 9:20/min mile! Jackie did really well, I believe she finished in 1:50 with a 8:30/mile, go Jackie! My favorite part of the race of course was my medal: a beautiful silver Liberty Bell!

Here are some photos! Note: I did not have my camera on this trip and had to steal all of these of my friend's facebook pages!

Laura, Lisa and I outside the Independence Hall

Photobucket


Me, Laura, Margo, Jackie and Lisa

Photobucket

Having a delicious margarita (a day before a race, shame shame on me!)

Photobucket

Out at that fun bar that I cannot remember the name of

Photobucket

Post race with Jackie

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment