Monday, July 20, 2009

Hungry Hungry Jenna (Marathon update)

Training has been going so well so far! A few minor aches and pains but nothing major. My biggest problem is that I am so unbelievable hungry! I have been running about 20-22 miles per week and just cannot get full no matter what I do! Somehow I have managed to gain a few pounds too and I find that so frustrating! Is my body holding onto calories so I can get through my long runs? Am I not eating enough calories? What is going on?


Ok so here is the skinny: I eat a lot of small meals throughout the day, along with plenty of water and a cup of green tea but I am still starving! I even added in an extra snack! What is a girl to do!? I believe I may need more protein to help fill me up but I hate leftovers so it is hard to bring something meat-related to work for lunch. I would love to buy my lunch every day but it is very pricey to eat in NYC...as least $10 bucks a day! So instead I head down to A&P or Trader Joe's and stock up on all my favorite foods and snacks.


Here is a sample of what I eat every day during training. Note that I usually do not eat carbs and limit dairy but will rotate in some pretzels, bread or pasta here and there.

JENNA'S DAILY DIET

Breakfast: Banana and some almonds

Snack: Zone Bar or Luna Bar

Snack: Carrots

Lunch: Salad or shrimp stir fry

Snack: Peach or apple

Snack: Tortilla Chips and Salsa (not every day) or granola bar or pretzels

Dinner: Chicken or Steak and a veggie

Snack: Sugarfree fudge-pop or a piece of fruit


Like I said I do swap things here and there and LOVE chocolate so will slip that in, but overall I try to eat healthy. I will treat myself to dessert on the weekends and love dining out so I will indulge but hey, you only live once! I love to cook Italian and will often make Eggplant Parmesan, Eggplant Rollatini, Chicken Francese, Manicotti, or Chicken Parmesan on Sundays.


Anyway I am not sure what I should change in my diet? Less sugar and less fruit? More protein? I guess I have some reading to do! Does anyone have any advice for me? Helllppppp!

3 comments:

  1. My suggestion is a bigger breakfast! Try something with protein there and your body has all day to burn the calories. Maybe that would hold you over longer?

    Can't wait to see you in just a few days!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I have two suggestions. One you may need to eat more especially with all of the running. If you arent eating enough calories your body goes into starvation mode and that may be the reason you are holding onto weight. Second suggestion is to eat more fiber. Fiber will fill you up for longer (oatmeal, fiber bars). Just ease your way into more fiber or your stomach may hate you. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I definitely think I need a bigger breakfast but I just never have time! I decided to add more protein and already feel better! Janessa...I think you may be right, I need to eat more and I started and feel so much better already!

    ReplyDelete