Friday, September 18, 2009

I never home leave without these!

Ok so it has been awhile since I have blogged but I have been super busy! I feel like things are really spinning out of control but I like it in a way. Time is flying bye and the marathon will be here before I know it!

Last weekend I was up at 6:00am to complete 18 miles and it had to be done running by 10:00am at the latest. This was by far my best long run yet! I ran 6 miles down to Hoboken and met up with two friends: Rosemary and Kristi. I did 6 with them and then we met up with the rest of the group (Hoboken Elysianette Running Society) and did my last 6 with the team! The weather is getting cooler and I did not feel fatigued at all. I think my body is getting used to running these long distances now!

After that I was in a huge rush because I had to meet lovely Jayd Gardina to shoot a wedding as a 2nd photographer! Woohoo! So I took my ice bath (burrr), showered quickly, packed up my camera gear and drove off into the city to meet her! I had a great time shooting with her and felt pretty good all day despite my early morning run! Ok and lastly I attended the MTV VMA's Red Carpet on Sunday at Radio City Music Hall! It amazing and I met so many celebs - this definitely deserves its own blog post so I will save that one for later but let's just say it was an INSANELY BUSY WEEKEND!

Anyway I thought it would be fun and helpful to blog about the items I never leave home without when going on a long run! I am obsessed with buying and trying out new running gear and have finally figured out what works best for me. Every morning when I wake up, I go through a mental checklist and make sure I have everything for my run. Here it is:

Mizuno Wave Ride 12 Running Shoes - I have been wearing these shoes for almost two years and refuse to try anything else. I dislike the current color that is out right now but beggars can't be chosers! If you are thinking about taking up running, please go to a specialty running store and be properly fitted for running shoes. Be sure to change out your running shoes every 300-500 miles!

Photobucket

Powerstep Insoles - These offer more support and cushion than the insoles that come with the shoe. I think these also help absorb the impact that your knees and shins take from all the pounding

Photobucket

Under Armour Running Socks - I pick these up at either TJ Max or Dick's Sporting Goods. They are pretty thick and offer more support and cushion than most running socks.

Photobucket

Nike Running Tanks - I tend to overheat so I always dress as light as possible. I have both cotton and dri-fit styles and love both.

Photobucket

Brooks Running Shorts - I have tried on many brands and Brooks seem to fit the best. They have a wider waist band and wont cause the muffin-top effect. I also love Nike running capris and running tights for colder months.

Photobucket

iFitness Running Belt - If I am going on a shorter run (1-7 miles), I will take my iFitness Running Belt which was purchased at Super Runner's Shop in Grand Central. (They can also be bought online.) This belt holds my blackberry, money, and several other small things.

Photobucket

Fuel Belt - I get very thirsty when I run and if I am going far (7+ miles), I take my fuel belt with me. This has 2 bottles that I can fill with water and pouches to hold my blackberry, Gu, etc. (There plenty of places where I am able to refill my bottles but if you run out in the boonies you may want to get a 4 bottle belt.) I got a size small and wear it around my waist but I know some people wear them around their hips.

I thought it would be important to note that your belt should be neoprene all the way around and velcro in the front. If it has buckles or non-stretchy fabric, chances are it won't stay in place and you will experience a lot of bouncing. Also, if I am running in a race then I usually leave this at home - anything over 15 miles and this belt becomes a big pain (literally). I purchased this at City Sports in NYC - they seem to have the largest selection!

Photobucket

Gu - When going on a long run I always take Gu with me. It offers carbs and a quick caffeine boost and helps you get through those lulls where you start slowing down and feeling tired. My best advice is to try these out before races to make sure your stomach can handle them. Eat them fast and take with a lot of water.

Photobucket

My favorite flavor is Espresso Love, it has more caffeine in it than the others - 40 grams. My second favorite flavor is Chocolate Outrage, it tastes like pudding!

Photobucket

Nike Watch - I do not know the make and model of this off the top of my head but I really like this watch. It is easy to use and fits very nicely on my wrist. I time my runs and and figure out my distance from my time (i.e. I consistently run a 10 minute mile.)

Photobucket

iPod Nano - I cannot run without music and always have this bad boy with me, even in races. I have the old 2G version of the Nano but it is still going strong after several years. If I am running with friends then I leave this behind but otherwise I love rocking out during running!

Photobucket

Blackberry, Money, Advil, Bandaids - I usually always bring these along for emergency purposes. You never know when you are going to need to make a phone call or pop an advil (lol that sounded funny). Also the money is important incase you need to stop an buy a water or god forbid you get injured and need to grab a cab. I have heard horror stories before and therefore have added these things in my running belt for long distance runs!

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Body Glide - Last but not least you will need to lather up in Body Glide on anything longer than a 13-14 mile run. Girls: rub this all along your sports bra line, under your arms, and anywhere else you think you may chafe. I usually put it on my feet along with vaseline because I am prone to losing toe nails and blistering when it's really hot.

Photobucket

Finally - I would really love to add this to my running gear so if you are feeling generous please feel free to buy it for me!

GPS Garming 405 Watch

Photobucket

Thanks for reading and let me know if you have any questions! The above are all recommendations and not necessarily the best on the market or the best for you in particular. Definitely try things out and go from there!

1 comment:

  1. Oooh I covet that GPS watch! I love the chocolate Gu too, have you tried the Roctane Gu yet? It has extra caffeine and other goodies - the orange vanilla flavor is pretty good!

    ReplyDelete